Sunday, October 2, 2011

First post in Africa :)

When in Africa, do as the Africans do. Well this is my first official blog entry in Africa... and boy where do I begin. 

I guess I will rewind it a bit.... and begin with staging.  I left Sacramento around 8:25am (9/20) en route to Philly... the plane ride was long, longer than I expected since my excitement was at an all time high.  In a new city, with new friends... we set to explore for the little time we had.  The first night was really nice, we had pizza and beer.  My birthday, which was the next day was amazing!!!! My new friends and I went out to dinner at the hardrock where they sang happy birthday to me :) A great treat!!.  It was so wonderful to be surrounded by people who could understand your reasons for joining the PC.  My fellow peace corps trainees are some of the most talented, unqiue and wonderful people I have ever met.

(9/22-9/23) are a blurr of airport, to airport, to check-in, to security clearances, to check-ins, to busses... to more travel......... We were greeted by the PC staff and our welcoming PCVs, Mary and Carlos upon landing.  Time seemed to fly by really fast during the first few days... as we had something planned for pretty much ever hour of our days.  Felt similar to college orientation or that of international study abroad programs... we began our malaria medicine and did a ton of socializing!  I even lost my voice!!! Mary and Carlos were amazing!! They truly are aspirations for each of us.  They both have only been here a year and are already pretty fluent in francais!  Pretty awesome to see what the progress will be for our future (hopefully) :)  During our stay in Yaounde, we got to go to a live television show and eat dinner at our country directors house with the U.S. Ambassador to Cameroon... pretty freaking cool!

After our stay in Yaounde we were carted off to Bafia... our new home for the next 3 months.  This is where I met my family :)  I have the pleasure of living with the Jean St. Paul family who have four sons and one daughter.  Ma mere est tres gentil et belle.  She has been so accommodating!!  It's a surreal feeling living with a family in another country.  All my brothers and my sister sleep in one room... I feel a bit like I am intruding but they are so patient with my francais.  My route to school is AMAZING! I get to walk through the jungle :)  It's about a 8-10 minute walk from my home.  The first few days my mom and brothers walked me to and from school... but know I feel comfortable walking on my own.  Yesterday, my sister took me to the market to buy pagne (fabric) for a dress I am having made... I cannot wait :). Yesterday,  I took my first moto taxi... it was a crazy experience!!! Don't worry mom and dad... Peace Corps Volunteers MUST always wear helmets.   Thats all for now.

Well off to practice my francais!!

Love you all and think about you all everyday :)

6 comments:

  1. Kate - sounds like you're already having an amazing time. A few of us are thinking of sending over a little package for you and your family... Email me a list of things that you would like to share, also anything you may have forgotten, and I'll get it together for you.

    Love you... Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad to hear you are doing well and adjusting to your new surroundings. It doesn't really surprise me; you are such a positive person. I love reading your posts, and I eagerly await the next one (and some photos if you can when you get a chance). Please thank your host family for me for making you feel so welcome. Love you!!! Aunt Sherri xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the update! So glad to hear you are loving it!!!!!!

    Love Tasha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kate,
    Love you! So happy you are having fun and enjoying yourself. So glad you had a nice birthday and are meeting some new friends! Let me know if I can send you a letter to your host family for you or if it has to go to somewhere else! Keep praticing that francais...it will come back in no time. I am very proud of you!!! So happy your loving it and having a good experience thus far. Keep in touch! Much love.
    Au Revoir! Salut! A tout a Luerr!!!

    Bisses,
    Megan and Jason

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katie, I am so happy to hear you are having an amazing time already! Keep the updates coming! Love you & be safe!! xo

    Tarris

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katie,
    It makes me so happy and excited to hear how you've been. I can't imagine living in such a different place. I'm inspired by your adventure and hope to hear more about it. Thank you for keeping us all updated. Je suis tres heureuse pour toi! je veux ecrire toi si possible.
    Gros bisous,
    Jenny Rowe

    ReplyDelete