Thursday, December 15, 2011

Officially a Peace Corps Volunteer :)

Leaving Bafia and the family I have built there was surprisingly difficult.  The impact that my family had on my life has changed me forever.  I mean I have only know these people for three months, but the fact that they opened their doors to a complete stranger, aided in all aspects of this foreign life and provided emotional support makes me grateful to know that there are genuinely good people in the world.  They will forever have a place in my heart and I wish them true happiness and health in the years to come.  Plus, I am going to miss coming home every day to my host brothers running down the muddied path to greet me with hugs and salutations or waking up to Cameroonian music blasting throughout the house.  I mean who wouldn’t miss getting tackled by four little brothers and or getting shocked out of sleep by another language blaring at 6am.  All in all, my stay in Bafia had to come to an end and it was time to begin the next chapter in my life as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Cameroon.  That’s right J I am officially a Peace Corps Volunteer… no longer a trainee!
So Poola, here we are.  Just you and me this time.  Making the journey here was swift and easy, unlike what I envisioned of traveling with two years’ worth of stuff on Cameroonian public transportation would be like.   I have this theory that everything always tends to work out and therefore there is no point to stress, but like any normal human being, I stressed.  Of course I stressed… I mean my language is far from where it needs to be and I have still no idea what the hell I am doing here, and I think neither does my counterpart at the moment but as will the seeds that I plant, my understanding will grow too.  It’s been an interesting ride so far.  Having my own place and the independence that I soooo need in my life has refreshed me in this experience.  I am excited and anxious to get things started… my first step is making my home, my home.  I was fortunate to take over a post, which the PCV before me left furniture with all the amenities I would need to live.  But as you know, nesting is one of my favorite things and I can’t wait to let my creativity flow.    I will post photos when I get the chance… I bet you are all waiting anxiously to see.  In due time… you too will experience ma vie en Afrique. 
Anyways, next week is Christmas and then New Years.  Can it really be 2012… wow.  It’s crazy to think that I will be here for 2 more years.  Never worry family and friends… I won’t be alone for Christmas.  We are planning a little Christmas fete in Bafut, which is in the Northwest region and when I say we…I mean 9 of my closest friends in country and I.  We have the menu set and let me tell you… it is really going to feel like Christmas, especially with Ashleigh and Betsy cooking!!  All of the amazing people I have met here have become like family to me and knowing that we will be together to celebrate makes being away from loved ones back home not so unbearable.    
If you are planning on sending anything family and friends… here is my new address. 
Katelyn Witz
Volontaire Corps de la Paix
B.P. 15 Nkongsamba
Cameroun, Africa
Par Avion
I love you all and miss you dearly.  Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year…

1 comment:

  1. Hey Kate,
    It is so refreshing to hear that you are doing so well. Know that we all miss you dearly, and are extremely proud of you. When you have time, get those pictures up! I see you're on Facebook more than this blog... this blog would be something amazing to reflect on down the road.

    Love you tons..
    Ryan

    ReplyDelete