Sunday, August 19, 2012

High on life... more like drugged up on antibiotics

I really cannot believe it is already the middle of August.  Like I say in almost every blog I write; “Where the hell did the time fly away too”.  I have been back in Cameroon for three months and what a rollercoaster it has been.  Let’s begin this epic journey into my past three months with June…
June started out with a bang.  I did a 10day life skills camp with a few other volunteers and 60 of the darling children at the Ntolo Social Center.  Some of the children are orphans, some come from broken homes, some are at-risk, some have aids but all are very lucky to be a part of the Center.  It’s a big family; the big kids take care of the littles.  I haven’t ever really seen family dynamics like that but it warms my heart that in a world of struggle and loss, these kids can find such a place and call it home.  During the camp, all the volunteers did presentations; HIV and AIDS, gender roles, sports, reproductive health, business, savings, income generating activities…. Sooo much more.  I got to do presentations on recycling, deforestation, environment friendly practices, the marine ecosystem and teach the little tots how to play world cuppies… which by the way they LOVED.  Brought back warm memories of coaching the Gator Girls with Lyndsay Pollock!  We had Malaria No More come and present, which they brought along a famous singer and mosquito nets for every bed.  A special treat for all the kids! Then to top off the already successful week, we ended up taking all the kids to the beach and wildlife center in Limbe.  This by far was the most special day I have experienced here in Cameroon.  Most of the kids have never seen the ocean or swam.  There little eyes bulged with excitement when we arrived and it was like pulling teeth to leave.  The 10days was a huge success and my mind is reeling with ideas for next year’s Joie de Vivre Colonie de Vacance.   Thanks to everyone who donated!!! We couldn’t have done it without you. 
Well the rest of the month was slow.  Spent most with my counterpart planning out for future projects but it was the start of the heavy rains and the motivation in village was running low.   Gave out some information on Soy and Tofu, taught my closest friend in village how to prepare spaghetti (American style) with the parmesan cheese and all, and did allot of networking for the agriculture school I was planning.  Needless to say, June was full of excitement and actually seeing the fruits of my labor. 
Then came July.  I had to be in Yaoundé for the beginning of the month for PSN training and meetings with administration.  It just so worked out that I would be there for the 4th of July.  What a way to celebrate America in a foreign world with 60 fellow PCV’s drinking tequila, eating burgers and dogs while listening to good ol’ Country music.  Too much fun and much needed.  Sometimes we need a little “Whiteman” overload.  I decided since the heavy rains of July were coming, to take a vacation to the Extreme North to visit some close friends, see their projects and experience the beautiful northern/Muslim culture.  It has got to be one of the most beautiful regions in Cameroon.  The first couple days were spent in Rhumsiki, a real heavenly place.  We went bareback horseback riding, which I thought was really going to kill me.  The horses were way underfed and their spines were shoved in a very sensitive place for far too long (3 ½ hours).  I was pretty damn vocal, as only it seemed necessary.  We had these adorable children as guides (child labor anyone?) where they walked the many miles we trekked.  My guides name was Olivier… or I like to say Olivia.  He definitely had ADHD and would get distracted so easily.  The ongoing joke with my friends now are yelling “Olivia vien ici, maintenant!” which could probably be heard from all in a 10 mile radius, as I kept getting led into torn bushes.  After the painstaking 3 ½ hours, bums hurting, sunburnt to crisps and dying of thirst (we only brought one bottle water for 10ppl—aka dumbasses) we made it back to the hotel, only after the kids took turned riding my back like their own personal horses.  I guess I couldn’t turn them down since after all they did walk like 6 miles for us.  The next day we visited the crap sorcerer.  You ask a question and he speaks to a live crab then places it in the bowl, which the crab then moves some wood around and gives the sorcerer the answer.  Pretty crazy experience!  Rhumsiki was amazing, the ride to and from is breathtaking and takes about 2 hours on a motorcycle.  Unfortunately, we cannot control the weather and were many times during the journey there and back forced to stop and take over villager’s houses, all 10 white people, crammed into a room no bigger than 8ft by 11ft with 20 other Cameroonians.  Overall, it was an adventure of a lifetime.  I got to visit a bunch of other volunteer’s posts and hike mount Maroua.  My weeks’ vacation coming to a close, I could feel myself getting sad to leave but my body felt even worse.  I woke on the day I was supposed to traveling back down to my post with a 102 fever and body aches.  I decided to head to the hospital instead, which was an excellent choice on my part because I had malaria and a cyst of amoebas.  Lovely right?  Well… I guess Maria hadn’t gotten the last of me.  PCMO made me stay on medical hold in Maroua for another week until I would be able to travel.  Finally off medical hold I made the 4 hour trek to Garoua in the North.  I planned on splitting up the 30 hour trip back to the South into a few days, but upon arriving in Garoua my body decided to fight me again.  I headed once again to the hospital, and voila… I still had the amoebas.  I pumped more antibiotics into my body for the second week in a row.  Spent a couple painful days in Garoua, but got to see some volunteers that were passing through which made the time fly.  Finally I got back to Yaoundé, around 2 weeks after my intended return date only to be sent to the lab again and told I had another type of parasite and malaria again….. REALLY? WTF is this.  I pumped more and more antibiotics into my system and remained on med hold until the 1st of August when FINALLY I got to go back to post.  I missed my house, my community, my friends and my counterpart!  Sooo now are in August…
The beginning was not so pleasant since I was still getting over Malaria but I powered through!!  Started back up with my projects and prepared for the Girl’s Empowerment Forum that fellow volunteers were planning in Kribi.  I got to bring two counterparts, which was truly special since a. they deserve a vacation b. are motivated to make a difference in women’s rights and empowerment and c. have never swam before, in their LIFE.   The forum was extremely well done, many great presentation and great food.  I gathered many new ideas and my counterparts and I got a spark to get projects rolling for a big girl’s empowerment movement in Poola we want to start.  Now it brings me up to date.  This past weekend I began my l’ecole des agriculteurs, which I had been planning for at least a month.  We started off with a session on Les Pesticides Naturel and planned to meet every two weeks to discuss a new topic.  Next topic is Moringa!  It was sooo great, I got 15ppl to come and partake.  I am hoping for more in the next session.  By the end of the year these students will be able to teach about; raising rabbits, canerat, pigs, goats, bees, ducks, making soap, aloe, natural pesticides, tofu, growing Moringa, medicinal plants, soy, agroforestry techniques, composting, tree planting and more.  I let them come up with some ideas and they get to pick the next sessions topics and agree on a date.  I think it’s going to be a success.  As for the girl’s empowerment, my counterpart and I are starting “Big Sisters” or grand soeurs at the local public school.  I have 5 or 6 girls which attending high school that are willing to mentor younger girls.   I am going to train the older girls on topics such as; building goals, income generating activities to pay school fees, sexual education, peer pressure, alcohol and drug abuse etc.  (All things out of my life skills manual).  I think that project is going to be my baby. 
So here I am today… excited about the next few months to come, getting all my projects going on the fast track and enjoying the cultural experiences.  September will be not only my birthday month but the completion of my first year in Peace Corps Cameroon.  It’s been really a rollercoaster of a ride, especially with administration but I love my time here and all the amazing people I am meeting every day. 
 I can only hope to be even more successful in all my projects and make many more amazing friends and memories. 

1 comment:

  1. Kate,
    Glad to hear that you're having an amazing time... with exception to the end of July, I actually believe you. :) As you complete your first year of service, remember that even though your time in Cameroon is short, your impact on the community can live on for years to come. Keep strong and don't let the difficult times get in the way of your goal.

    With love,
    Ryan + Christy + Taylor

    ReplyDelete