Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Trick or Treat?

Do you ever have those moments where you feel like you can predict the future... or have this power over the events that are to take place?  Well this happened to me yesterday.

I remember getting ready for my first day of school as I have every year for the past 18 years.  I lay out my book bag, organize my binders, pick out my first day outfit and off to bed early... excited for a new year with new challenges and work load.  I remember laying in bed thinking what an amazing day tomorrow is going to be and what an amazing treat would it be to hear something on my first day of school from the Peace Corps.

I woke up to 3 emails... I laughed to myself, how funny would it be to hear something today.  Well there it was... an email with an updated peace corps status.

6:30am--- ran/jumped out of bed to my computer... only to find that my status had been updated with a hold... a hold I thought had been there this whole time lol... a trick or treat?!?! I guess it's my mind telling me to chill and that life isn't about living in the future but the present.  I am however pleased to hear they have began to look at my file again... that's some movement.

Anyways, today was my first day of my last semester of my undergraduate career.  5 long years almost over... I have gone from Nursing to Psychology to Business to International Relations to FINALLY my beloved Economics.   As I was scanning the books in the campus bookstore... it began to hit me.  

I love Economics more than anything else I have ever studied or researched... I feel as if the degree was molded for me.  This is weird coming from a girl who in high school could not stand math but there is something about it... its a joy and truly makes me happy.   This semester I took a different approach in preparation for the Peace Corps. I will not be taking any Economics courses besides my research methods. I chose to take an Intermediate French course, Intercultural Communication and Ethnic America... all classes that I feel will better prepare me for the cultural sensitivity that will be required from my service.

So... Cheers to trying new things, going outside your comfort zone... Cheers to those of you getting your invitations and your medical clearances... and cheers to those of you who are accomplishing something that you have poured sweat, tears and blood into... I hope 2011 is an amazing year for you all.  I foresee big things happening :)

xoxo

Katie

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I was also an economics student, I graduated with a bs in economics and I love love it!! like you I started off as a health major (pre-pharmacy) then changed to econ, I loved that class in high school, don't know why I did not start off as an econonmics major. I plan on going to grad school after service, I got my invitation to serve in Ethiopia May 2011 Health Economic Development Advisor, if you have any questions about the application process feel free to ask!!!!

    Amaka

    ReplyDelete